Make your own free website on Tripod.com

Bread Maker Fined Over Dead Mouse In Loaf

The maker of Hovis has been fined after a dead mouse was found in one of its loaves.  Shocked father Stephen Forse spotted the mouse in a loaf he was using to make sandwiches for his children. Mr Forse bought the bread from Tesco Online and had already used some of it when he noticed "a dark-coloured object embedded in the corner of three or four slices".

The 41-year-old father from Kidlington in Oxfordshire first though it was a section of unmixed dough but quickly realised his mistake.  "As I looked closer, I saw that the object had fur on it," he said.

The situation was made even worse when an environmental health officer, who had called to gather evidence, found that the mouse was without a tail.  "Her comments made me feel ill once again as there was no indication as to where the tail was," said Mr Forse.  "Had it fallen off prior to the bread being wrapped or had any of my family eaten it with another slice of bread on a previous day?"

Manufacturer Premier Foods was fined £5,500 and ordered to pay £11,109.47 in costs at Oxford Crown Court for failing to maintain acceptable standards at their site in Mitcham, south London.  A spokesman for Premier Foods said: "We apologise profusely for the distress caused as a result of this isolated incident."

From Sky News via Yahoo


Hovis Fined Over Loaf With Added Ingredient 

The baker of Hovis bread has been fined after a woman found part of an oven glove cooked into a loaf.  It was not until the hapless victim had begun to toast and eat a slice that she found the surprise ingredient On discovering the contamination she bypassed lunch and reported the matter to  Omagh District Council in County Tyrone. The loaf, with added hessian-type cloth, had been bought from a local shop just before Christmas 2008.

Magistrates in Omagh fined Hovis makers Premier Foods £750 earlier this month and ordered the company to pay court costs of £85.  The council's environmental health chief Barny Heywood said: "Environmental health officers work with food businesses to provide advice on complying with food safety laws.  "However, when they fail to follow that advice, formal action must be considered."  A spokesman for Premier Foods said: "We go to great

CLICK TO ENLARGE

lengths to assure the quality  of our great British brands but on this isolated occasion we have fallen short of our usual high standards and apologise for any distress caused to the customer."

Sky News

HOME