Maker Fined Over Dead Mouse In Loaf
The maker of Hovis has been
fined after a dead mouse was found in one of its loaves.
Shocked father Stephen Forse spotted the mouse in a loaf he was using
to make sandwiches for his children. Mr Forse bought the bread from
Tesco Online and had already used some of it when he noticed "a
dark-coloured object embedded in the corner of three or four
The 41-year-old father from
Kidlington in Oxfordshire first though it was a section of unmixed
dough but quickly realised his mistake. "As I looked
closer, I saw that the object had fur on it," he said.
The situation was made even
worse when an environmental health officer, who had called to gather
evidence, found that the mouse was without a tail. "Her
comments made me feel ill once again as there was no indication as to
where the tail was," said Mr Forse. "Had it fallen
off prior to the bread being wrapped or had any of my family eaten it
with another slice of bread on a previous day?"
Manufacturer Premier Foods
was fined £5,500 and ordered to pay £11,109.47 in costs at
Oxford Crown Court for failing to maintain acceptable standards at
their site in Mitcham, south London. A spokesman for Premier
Foods said: "We apologise profusely for the distress caused as a
result of this isolated incident."
News via Yahoo
Fined Over Loaf With Added Ingredient
The baker of Hovis bread has
been fined after a woman found part of an oven glove cooked into a loaf.
It was not until the hapless victim had begun to toast and eat a
slice that she found the surprise ingredient On discovering the
contamination she bypassed lunch and reported the matter to
Omagh District Council in County Tyrone. The loaf, with added
hessian-type cloth, had been bought from a local shop just before
Magistrates in Omagh fined
Hovis makers Premier Foods £750 earlier this month and ordered
the company to pay court costs of £85. The council's
environmental health chief Barny Heywood said: "Environmental
health officers work with food businesses to provide advice on
complying with food safety laws. "However, when they fail
to follow that advice, formal action must be considered."
A spokesman for Premier Foods said: "We go to great
CLICK TO ENLARGE
lengths to assure the quality
of our great British brands but on this isolated occasion we have
fallen short of our usual high standards and apologise for any
distress caused to the customer."